Peter Bane has outlined what Walter Jehne presented about cooling the planet. I think this has the power to pull us back from a climate collapse if we get acting now. Here are some concepts that are being talked about:
Walter Jehne at the recent 3 day intense soil seminar offered the concept of “Net Carbon” where starting 1.2.3 years in the future every one must start sequestering the same amount of carbon they are adding. This would be ramped up over a number of years and would require some to seek carbon offsets while others could change the balance of what they were doing. It has the advantage of not being a TAX. Just who would have to comply and how the compliance would work is a work in progress. Land management sequestration could become highly sought after. And yes the corporate boys could distort the playing field but they also could help to drive implementation of the system. Abe Collin’s measurement technologies http://www.
Listen to the conversation here
In terms of making cooling happen as fast as possible I think this might be the priority list:
- Educate decision makers and the public about the power of cooling found in driving the natural systems.
- Get bare farm fields covered all year with green growing crops. In VT http://regenerationvermont.
- Nationally change the rules on crop insurance-loans and for payments for fallowing ground.
- Pay farmers to build the soil-carbon sponge. Perhaps through Net Zero or perhaps through a carbon tax and in the meantime by the likes of TerraPass.
- Teach farmers-land owners the benefits of doing all this and make it mainstream